CBI booked Christian NGO called Caruna Bal Vikas for using funds for religious conversions.

    28-Feb-2020
A case registered by Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) against a Chennai based NGO, Caruna Bal Vikas for allegedly receiving crores of rupees funds from Colorado-based donor, Compassion International and the fund utilised for religious conversion in India, Hindustan Times reported.
 

Conversion to Christianit 
 
Over allegations of the conversion activities, the Government of India barred Compassion International from funding Indian NGOs without permission in May 2016.
 
After the ban imposed, some US lawmakers requested India to reconsider its decision. Then the Union Home Ministry said that the money given to Caruna Bal Vikas by Compassion International was being diverted for conversion activities. The money diverted to NGOs owing allegiance to the Methodist Church, Baptist Church, Salvation Army, Christian Missionary Society and Indian Pentecostal Church, in violation of the law.
 
According to media reports, CBI has alleged that Chennai based Caruna Bal Vikas (CBV), which was registered under Foreign Contribution Registration Act (FCRA), “has invariably indulged in religious activities.”
 
“Further, a special audit conducted by the Income Tax department also reveals that a part of foreign receipts has been used for religious activities by CBV. Further, CBV has, inter alia, declared its long term objective of ‘converting poor children into fulfilled Christian adults’, and thus engaged in religious activities including conversions to Christianity. Such activities have the potential to disturb communal harmony,” CBI FIR states.
 
“As per IT department’s report, CBV utilized only 10% of foreign contribution for the purpose it was meant for, while the remaining 90% was diverted to 300 NGOs in Tamil Nadu, Kerala and other States. Some of the NGOs are not FCRA registered,” it adds.
 
“Soon after Adhane Management Consultants Pvt Ltd (AMCPL) was registered, the funding of Compassion International-USA, which was earlier channelled through CBV, was shifted wholly to AMCPL. CBV received Rs 6.75 crore in 2014-15 as against Rs 109.50 crore in 2011-12, Rs 130.52 crore in 2012-13 and Rs 111.71 crore in 2013-14. AMPCL received Rs 6.75 crore from Compassion without prior permission,” states CBI FIR.